Friday, July 27, 2007

Loving this life

We just got back from our trip to Berlin, we were there over Easter. We stayed (Jochen, Joey and I) with my grandparents who live in on the 5th floor, they have a one bedroom apt. and we slept in the living room. I wish I could spend more time with my grandparents, I learn so much from them. I love how thoughtful my grandmother is. She packed a wet washcloth into a baggie because she thought when I wipe joeys nose with a tissue that it irritates his skin, "lieber was feuchtes nehmen" (something moist is better). I like how she decorates her table for breakfast (with little chicken egg warmers), lunch (with fancily folded easter bunny napkins), coffee and cake is always very nicely "bedecked", and dinner is also always perfectly decorated. She puts a block of butter on a serving dish and uses a warm teaspoon to curl up the top of the butter to make it look like the butter has ...I don't know curls/ or ribbons on top. It's all over the top but to her it's "how it should be". It makes me feel so welcome and I hope to carry some of her traits on, I mean how much more work is it to fold a napkin than to lay a paper towel down. On our trip back home she packed us brotchen into a bag and everyone had the same version brotchen that they made for themselves that morning. Do you follow? Like Monday morning I put philidelphia cream cheese on my brotchen and topped it with cherry tomatoes with salt and pepper on top, and .... oma packed me the same version on my way home, she pays attention like that. I just love 'em.

No comments: